Within the fitness industry Semi-Private Personal Training and Small Group Training get used interchangeably, but in fact these are 2 very different form of training.
What makes this even more confusing is so many gyms out there are promoting they are doing Semi-Private Personal Training, when in fact they are actually doing small group training.
This makes it extremely difficult for potential gym members to compare packages and memberships, thinking they are comparing the same thing but in fact 2 completely different training method.
You see, most gyms come from a large group training background. This style of training will generally have 1 trainer with about 20+ clients all doing the same exercises. There is no customisation, no individualized programs, and very little instruction on how to perform the exercises correctly and safely. This is your typical bootcamp style training. On average this cost about $40-$60/week.
Many of these gyms started witnessing the popularity of Semi-Private Personal Training and thought they could do the same thing. But coming from a large group training background they did not have the understanding or foundations to set up this style of training correctly. What they did was just decrease the number of people per class (to between 6-8 people), charge more money, but the kept running the session exactly the same way as the large group class, just with few people. The trainers act more like a cheerleader rather than a coach. They spend more time counting reps and time, cheering you on than actually teaching proper execution of exercises and technique. This is NOT Semi-Private Personal Training. This IS small group training.
At Adaptive Strength we are Personal Training specialists and we were one of the first in Perth to introduce Semi-Private Personal Training to the Perth market. We are the largest Personal Training and Semi-Private Personal Training studio in Perth. This is all we do. You could say Personal Training is in our blood.
Our semiprivate training sessions are designed to improve motivation, accountability, fitness results, and overall health for people of all experience levels.
So, what is Semi-Private Personal Training?
It is Personal Training shared with a small number of other clients at the same time (between 2-4 people). Each client has an individual programmed specifically for their needs and goals. The coach takes the time to teach and educate the clients, making sure they are performing the required exercises safely and effectively. This extra attention and accountability from their coach leads to a big impact on their performance and immediate results.
Typically, most Personal Training studios will charge between $70-$100/week for Semi-Private Personal Training. Factors include number of sessions per week, if added extras are included like nutrition or massage.
Because everything is individualised. One day, you could be training side by side with an older adult with a hip replacement, an Ironman wanna-be, a new mom seeking to get back into pre-baby shape, or someone with a chronic health issue – all in the same session. It does not matter who trains with you at the same time, because you are all doing something different and all working on your own exercises at your own pace.
With small group fitness training, people get a superior workout experience while building relationships that help to increase personal accountability — so they have fun and stick with it.
In summary, Semi Private Personal Training is …
1. Each person receives their own personalized training program. This allows each person to start where they are and progress as appropriate.
2. Each person works their program in a small, semi private group, typically between 2-4 people per session. This amount allows for a sense of community, while not packing a facility to make some feel claustrophobic.
3. Each person receives the direction of a Personal Trainer or Coach for each training session. Each client can feel comfortable that they are going to receive the instruction they need.
4. Reduced chance of Injury. Your Personal Trainer will teach you the proper form and technique to use during your workout so you can stay safe and injury-free.
4. The members have the opportunity to interact and communicate, leading to a greater sense of camaraderie and increases in goal achievement.
5. Each member will have an Accountability Coach assigned to them to help keep them on track, answer any questions and remove any roadblocks or plateaus they maybe having.
6. Faster and better results. Have a specialist coach in Personal Training on your side will help make sure you are spending time on the proper types of exercise. You only have a limited amount of time to train, so make sure you get the best results possible for the amount of time that you put it.
7. Proper fat loss and muscle gain. Most people have multiple goals when working out, the most common being fat loss and muscle gain. It’s often hard to find the right balance between these two, and your coach along with your individualised program can help you find the right balance to achieve all of your goals.
8. Establishing lifetime exercise habits. Because you have a true Personal Training, not a ‘cheerleader’ acting as one, they can help you find ways to make healthy living and exercise a priority in your life. They can help you overcome obstacles that might prevent you from exercising, and help you set many small, achievable goals.
9. Overcome Plateaus. Because your Personal Trainer is recording what you are doing in each session and consistently monitoring and tracking progress, when you hit a plateau, they can help you understand why you hit a plateau and find ways for you to work through it and see more results.
As you can see there is a huge difference between true Semi-Private Personal Training and Small Group Training. So, when you are looking around, please be careful. There are many gyms dressed up in lambs clothing offering Semi-private Personal Training and charging for it, but really only delivering Small Group Training.
If you are looking for either One on One Personal Training or Semi-Private Personal Training, please reach out to us. We have been doing this for years and it is all we specialise in.