And thus began my love affair with Kettlebells…
My travels in search of alternative personal training regimes have lead me to numerous competitions, none of which challenged my notions of conventional fitness. In 2012, I found two organisations that not only challenged me, but revolutionised my thoughts on fitness.
Enter the Russian Kettlebell Challenge (RKC), a 3-day instructor course regarded internationally as the gold standard in trainer certifications. The RKC is intimidation incarnate; with a 60% failure rate, it’s not for the faint hearted! I was fortunate enough to not only pass, but receive an invitation to return and instruct future courses – a tremendous honour.
RKC creator, and the father of modern kettlebells, Pavel Tsatsouline, departed from RKC that same year to breathe life into his next venture, StrongFirst (SFG). I was fortunate to head up StrongFirst here in Australia alongside SFG Master, Shaun Cairns. We’ve since grown the brand to where it currently stands – with over 100 instructors Australia wide, having run over 20 kettlebell training courses.
In 2013 I participated in the StrongFirst Level 2 Kettlebell instructor certification, in Texas, tackling the infamous 48kg kettlebell (aka ‘The Beast’) with one arm. Arm raised and with a year of preparation under my belt, acquiring my certification and achieving my goal of pressing that mammoth weight is something I’ll never forget.
My efforts further paid off, with Pavel Tsatsouline personally requesting I join the StrongFirst leadership group in 2015, earning my badge as the first Australian promoted to SFG Team Leader. I am, and remain, the only instructor in the Southern Hemisphere to hold all three StrongFirst instructor certifications – Kettlebell, Barbell, and Bodyweight.
Learning is a gift – it gives you something to teach
My passion for fitness, and desire to become an industry leader, has only grown stronger since leaving the military in favour of this path. When clients train with me here at Box 33, they’re in the best of hands. My time spent self-educating, and forming bonds within the fitness industry, is as much for my clients as it is myself.
Mentorship, and access to the right knowledge, can be hard to come across – so there’s nothing better than having the opportunity to bestow my knowledge upon Box 33 clients.
I’m fortunate to hold a multitude of certifications which have equipped me to provide clients with a unique fitness program, allowing them to improve their health and discover that same passion for fitness I came across all those years ago, and continue to thrive on.
Whether it’s our kettlebell classes in Perth, personal training, or our holistic fitness programs, at Box 33 you’ll be training with some of the best in the world. Who knows, eventually I hope to share a few of these titles with you…
Tim Almond Industry Certifications – In Full:
- 2013- Strict Pressed the Beast (48kg)
- Deadlift 1RM – 250kg
- 2014- 2nd place fall Tactical Strength Challenge Elite division. (International competition)
- 2015- 1st place spring Tactical Strength Challenge Open division. (International competition)
- 2015- 1st place fall Tactical Strength Challenge Open division. (International competition)
- 2016- 1st place spring Tactical Strength Challenge Open division. (International competition)
- StrongFirst Team Leader (Australia)
- StrongFirst Girevik Certified Kettlebell Instructor Level 2 (SFG II)
- StrongFirst Lifter (SFL) Certified Barbell Instructor
- StrongFirst Bodyweight Certified Instructor
- Z-Health Movement Reeducation Specialist (R-Phase)
- Z-Health Exercise Sports Specialist (S-Phase)
- Z-Health Exercise Therapy Specialist (T-Phase)
- Functional Movement Specialist Level 1
- Functional Movement Specialist Level 2
- Club Weightlifting / Sports Power Coach, Level 1
- NCAS Level 1 Powerlifting Coach
- Russian Kettlebell Certified Instructor (RKC)
- Australian Kettlebells Level 1 and 2 Instructor
- Gym Jones Fundamentals
- Ground Force Method Levels 1 and 2 Instructor
- Ground Force Method Kids Instructor
- Chek Exercise Coach
- Chek Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level 1
- Chek DMBT
- Chek Advanced Program Design
- Primal Move Velocity
- Primal Move Regeneration.
- Advanced Suspension Training Coach – Crankit Fitness.
- TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Combat Fitness Leader – Navy
- Sub-unit Physical Training Instructor – Army
- Cert III & IV in Personal Training and Fitness Instruction
- Working with Children check.